YNW Melly No Longer Facing Death Penalty in Double Murder Trial
YNW Melly will not face the death penalty in his upcoming double murder trial, much to the relief of his friends and family.
On July 7, 2022, Melly’s mother, Jamie Demons-King, took to Instagram and celebrated.
Her celebratory Instagram post came after a preliminary hearing for the rapper’s forthcoming homicide trial that took place in Broward County on July 6, 2022.
According to XXL, Melly’s attorney confirmed the Florida judge removed the death penalty from the list of punishments for the rapper born Jamell Maurice Demons.
YNW Melly's mother celebrates the removal of the death penalty from her son's double-murder trial. (Source: Instagram)
Melly is currently behind bars for alleged two counts of first-degree murder in February 2019.
The Shade Room Teens reshared the news on Instagram, and netizens had mixed reactions. Some opined that even though his death sentence was lifted, he would not be released anytime soon.
Meanwhile, others expressed frustration at how long the rapper’s trial had been delayed.
YNW Melly’s Double Murder Trial
In February 2019, Melly and YNW affiliate, Cortlen ‘YNW Bortlen’ Henry, were arrested with the former being charged with two counts of first-degree murder.
Authorities accused the ‘Murder On My Mind’ rapper of killing his two friends and rappers, YNW Juvy (Chris Thomas) and YNW Sakchaser (Anthony Williams), on October 26, 2018.
They said Melly shot the two victims while Henry tried to stage the deaths as a drive-by shooting.
Henry had brought the victims to the Memorial Miramar Hospital in a vehicle. They had multiple gunshot wounds and were pronounced dead at the hospital.
He gave a statement to the police, but during the preliminary investigation, the police found the facts did not match what was presented to detectives.
Further investigation and forensic evidence showed that Melly was at the crime scene when the shot YNW Sakchaser and YNW Juvy were inside the car.
The police concluded Melly shot and killed the two victims while Henry staged the scene to resemble a drive-by shooting.
Melly pleaded not guilty to the first-degree murder charges in March 2019.
YNW Melly Addressed His Arrest
The rapper also addressed his arrest in a since-deleted Instagram post in 2019.
He stated he did not get locked up in Washington but was turning himself to the police and referred to “rumors and lies” about him.
“I want you guys to know I love you and appreciate every single one of y’all. A couple of months ago, I lost my two brothers by violence and now the system wants to find justice,” wrote Melly.
He added that many rumors and lies were being said about him and assured his fans and family that he and Henry would get through this with God’s guidance.
Melly then ended the post by expressing his love for Thomas and Williams.
On May 23, 2020, Henry was granted house arrest while Melly is still fighting to prove his innocence. According to reports, his murder trial is expected to begin later this year.